Sunday, March 20, 2011

read: Bellwether

BellwetherBellwether by Connie Willis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wound up liking this slightly less than I thought I would based on the first several chapters. The tone is light, the factoids and social commentary are amusing, and the voice actress very talented. It was a lot of fun to listen to during my commute.

I thought the 'big' idea was intriguing, but it was slow to develop and got lost in the muddled love-story plot. Then it got wrapped up in a blur and a deus ex machina twist. Most annoying to me was the poor representation of how research is done and how computers are used. The research institute is used mostly as a means for critiquing institutional thinking and not for true advanced thinking.

All in all it was enjoyable and almost thought-provoking story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment