Saturday, May 5, 2012

read: Glamour in Glass (4 stars)

Glamour in GlassGlamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another enjoyable read from Mary Robinette Kowal. Like Shades of Milk and Honey, I wouldn't usually find myself attracted a story set in the Regency period, with all of the preaning society and fussing over propriety and fashion and such. I would much rather read books with action, maybe with spies and science fiction. But I enjoyed the first book of the series and felt like I was invested in it, so onward!

Happily, not only does this book deliver on the period details and characters, it also brings in some action and spies, and takes the fantasy almost into science fiction (Jane comes up with the idea of capturing the effects of glamour/magic in glass, hence the title).

Napolean is in exile and peace has broken out on the continent. The recently married Jane and Vincent head for Belgium to spend time with his glamour mentor. This gives Jane a new set of societal, political and personal problems to navigate. Then Napolean goes on the move again and things heat up.

The writing is top-notch. The author has a deft touch with character and dialog. Settings are distinct and vivid. I'm looking forward to the next book.

View all my reviews on goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment