Friday, July 23, 2010

read: Twilight

Twilight (Twilight, #1)Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I gave it a shot. I had to see what the fuss was about. I suppose if there weren't plenty of other (not necessarily even better) books waiting to be read, I might even have finished this. But I don't see the point. I gave up after 115 pages.

I know how it turns out. I don't like the first-person narrator's voice. Nothing happens for pages at a time, except brooding. In fact, I'm over 100 pages into the 500 page monstrosity and Bella has just now been told about the Cullens being vampires. That's 100 pages of teenage whining, angst, and anxiety before a real issue arises and it's still presented as something to brood about, rather than take action.

I can deal with a book that's slow. It took at least 100 pages for The Windup Girl to really click for me. But I could tell that something big was truly brewing in those 100 pages.

It's not all bad. Otherwise, I would have only given it 1 star. The actual prose is pretty passable. The characters and settings are fairly well drawn. They're just buried under tons of nothing. There just not enough to engage me. Moving on.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment