Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" [B]

Well, it's over. I mostly enjoyed most of the Harry Potter films and the couple of books I read. I came to care for several of the characters. I appreciated the amount of craftsmanship put into the films as well as the books.

Unlike a franchise series like James Bond or Pink Panther, an epic story has a beginning, middle, and end. And this one is no different. And this was a pretty good end. That's not to say that Harry Potter is quite as epic as something like the Lord of the Rings, nor was its ending. The problem with spreading the story out over eight films, instead of three, is that most of the audience has forgotten what the stakes are. I know I did. Voldemort was after Harry, and vice versa, but why?

Good pacing, though very choppy and episodic. Good action, though a bit confusing in spots. And that points out a problem that I kept having: In the action sequences, rooms, buildings, crowds, and armies all seemed to grow and shrink in illogical ways to meet the needs of the individual shot, not to fit with the shots that came before or follow. I know it's a magical land, but really. Continuity is not this film's strong suit. Fun story, though.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (IMDb)

No comments:

Post a Comment