Tuesday, November 29, 2011

read: Wicked Prey (2 stars)

Wicked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #19)Wicked Prey by John Sandford

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Picked this up after I saw the TV movie for Certain Prey and all of the copies the library had of that title were checked out. The first quarter of the book was promising, although I thought the author did a bit of over-describing and there seemed to be a few too many plot threads.

A couple of things finally made me put it down. The plot involving his adopted daughter did not ring true. I 'get' the proposition that she's this mighty and independent young woman. But she's supposed to be only 14 and didn't even come close to acting it. In any other Minnesota family she would have been more than grounded. It also felt like we were almost spending more time with the multiple antagonists, rather than with Lucas Davenport's efforts to track them down. I got tired of wasting my time with those lowlifes and started skipping pages, always a bad sign. I finally threw in the towel about the middle of the book.

I may come back and try another Lucas Davenport title, perhaps Certain Prey (although the movie was not that great, either). Davenport does seem like a strong and smart character.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment