Sunday, May 23, 2010

read: Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic...with a Blood-Sucking Twist

Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic... With a Blood-Sucking Twist Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic... With a Blood-Sucking Twist by Sherri Browning Erwin


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is first of the paranormalized classics I've gotten to read (mostly, I'll admit, because I managed to snag a free copy from sfsignal.com). I found to be pretty good, page-turning fun.

The original classic is not one that I've read (other than a quick skim of the first chapter and a recent watching of the 1944 film version with Joan Fontaine and Orson Wells), so I can't fully vouch for the harmony of this version with the plot, characters, tone, or style of Miss Brontë's volume. But I can say that it satisfied my own inner ear and expectations.

The Buffy-zation of Jane and her world was mostly seamless. Once one accepted the fact that vampires, zombies, and ultimately a werewolf or two inhabited her world, allowing her to become a kung fu fighter in petticoats was an easy step. At a few points I felt the author threatening to strain my suspension of disbelief. But these quickly resolved and the story continued with consonance.

There are a bunch of these books coming out now (I've even spotted one based on Huckleberry Finn). It's tempting to read them all. But I'm certain I could not survive on an exclusive diet of this dish for an extended period. I nonetheless plan to snack on a few in the coming months.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment