Saturday, May 15, 2010

"Young @ Heart" [B+]

If these feisty old folks singing rock and roll don't capture your heart, then you're dead already. I thought I had a pretty good idea of what this documentary would be like, given the title, subject matter, and wide publicity. Even so, I found myself literally agog for the first 10 minutes or so and had to (self) consciously close my mouth. After that I was constantly smiling (except when I was almost ready to cry), and laughed out loud more than once.

The filmmaker gets us up close and personal with the members of the chorus, yet he never really puts them on display as any sort of freaks. He shows how mightily they work for their performances. And he shows how mightily they are received by their real audiences. And how mightily they relish their opportunity to celebrate life, even when some of their number pass out of this life. This is a film about life and joy.

Young @ Heart (IMDb)

No comments:

Post a Comment