Monday, October 29, 2012

read: "A Spark of Death" (4 stars)

A Spark of Death: A Professor Bradshaw MysteryA Spark of Death: A Professor Bradshaw Mystery by Bernadette Pajer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Entertaining and winsome debut mystery novel centered around the early days of electricity, which was itself considered a mystery at the time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The historical and geographical setting of Seattle at the turn of the previous century was well crafted. It was obvious that everything was well researched, without the reader being hit over the head with it. The mystery was nicely plotted and characters clearly defined. I didn't figure out whodunnit until it was revealed.

While the writing was engaging, overall, I found it to be somewhat flat and repetative. Yes, we're in a mystery and, no, the protagonist still hasn't figured it out. But why are we spending what feels like a fourth of the novel rehashing motives and alibis for everyone? I feel like more could have been done to round out and deepen the characters and settings even more.

I liked spending time with Professor Bradshaw and the folks in old tyme Seattle. An extra star for the use of setting, science, and an engineer protagonist. I look forward to reading more books in the series.

View all my reviews on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment